Family faith-sharing tip:
Jesus often told people He healed to go and tell their friends and families about the amazing things that Jesus had done for them. This is what it means to be a witness—to see and experience God’s love and forgiveness and to be so happy about it that we share our experiences joyfully with others. What wonderful difference has Jesus made in your life? What are you happiest about? And how can you share your joy in appropriate ways with your children, your other family members, and your friends?
- Luke 15:4-7
- Jesus gives His followers and friends a special mission—to work with His Holy Spirit to tell everyone in the world about His love, His forgiveness, and His amazing forever gift of heaven. Helping other people learn about God’s love makes them, us, and all of heaven happy.
- Several family-style magazines
- Coloring materials
- Paper glue
- A picture of the world or a globe
- Sticky notes and pens
What you do:
- During the week before this family-time activity, help your children to notice different clever, interesting, or thought-provoking advertisements, such as posters, TV and radio commercials, free samples in the grocery store, coupons, etc.
- Give everyone a magazine and have them look through it and find three advertisements that they like for some reason.
- Lay all the ads out on the floor and ask each person to explain what they like about the ads they chose—colorful, fun, interesting, something they’d like to buy, clever ideas, etc. Encourage them to be as specific as possible.
- Remind them of the TV commercials, posters, samples, coupons, etc., and explain that today your whole family has been given the job of creating a campaign to advertise God’s love.
- Explain that advertising professionals have to answer the following questions when creating an advertising campaign:
- Who are the people they want to tell their message to? (young, old, children, moms, everyone)
- What are the most important messages these people need to hear? Why should they choose this product rather than another one?
- What will encourage these people to hear the message and choose their product? (Colors, pictures, ideas, free samples, being popular and having the latest product, etc.)
- Encourage your family to be as creative as possible when thinking up ways to advertise God’s love to the people you know. They can design posters; create TV-style commercials; design pins (badges) and t-shirts; give away special items with messages on them, etc.
- Act out the ads, and draw the posters, pins and t-shirt designs, etc. (Maybe you could use your designs to create witnessing products that you can wear, share with other church members, or display in your home, etc.)
- Then imagine about the best ways to help those around you to experience God’s amazing love, and the peace and happiness He has brought into your lives. Ask God to help your family find creative and appealing ways to tell others about Him.
- Take the picture of the world and sit or kneel around it.
- Give each person some sticky notes and pens.
- Ask them to write on their notes some of the messages that God wants people all around the world to hear.
- If you personally know people around the world who need to know Jesus, write their names on sticky notes and stick them onto the place where they live.
- Pray, asking God to help you know the best way to tell your friends, your family, and the world, about Him.
- Make a sign or poster that you can put in your room or home that says, “Dear God, help me to find special ways today to show and tell others how much You love them. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”