Family faith-sharing tip:
Help make the wonder of heaven a reality for your children. Talk positively about heaven being a place of wonderful adventures and eternal discovery. We’ll be able to learn how to do all the great things we’ve ever wanted to do. It’s also the amazing place where we’ll live forever with our loving Father God!
- John 14:1-3; 1 Corinthians 2:9
- Jesus is preparing a special place for us in heaven because He loves us. He will come back and collect us when everything is ready. When that happens, everyone will see Him.
- All kinds of lovely craft materials and creative scraps—or use natural materials and whatever is available to you.
- Scissors, glue, paper, crayons, etc.
- Old shoe boxes or other similar boxes
- Gold posterboard (recycled boxes will be fine too)
- Optional snack or meal of heavenly foods (see below)
What you do:
- Read aloud Revelation 21:9-22:5.
- What do you imagine heaven will be like?
- What do you think will be the best thing about heaven?
- What is the most important thing about heaven?
- What do you look forward to doing in heaven?
- Encourage them to use their imagination and sense of wonder to imagine the best kind of heaven possible. Accept even their wildest answers.
- What kind of room do you imagine that Jesus may be preparing for you?
- What would be in a special room just for you?
- What color would it be?
- How would it be decorated?
- What furniture would be in it?
- Provide shoe boxes, paper, and all kinds of craft materials and let each person make or plan their imaginary heavenly home.
- They may need to finish this project in their own time. Be warmly curious, appreciative and non-critical about whatever they create.
- Cut a crown for each person out of posterboard.
- On the inside of their crowns let each person write a prayer, thanking God for making a heaven for us and making a way for us to go and live there. Ask Him to help you make the best choices with your life so that you will be ready for heaven when Jesus comes again.
- Read the prayers aloud and then make the crowns, with the prayers on the inside. Use staples to join the ends.
- Wear the crowns and make a meal or snack of foods you would find in heaven: fruits, nuts, bread, grape juice, honey, etc. Imagine the great party in heaven when Jesus takes us home!