Family faith-sharing tip:
Stay connected to Jesus by being filled daily with His love and Spirit and by doing the loving things He invites you to do for your children. This will enable you to experience the best opportunities to be channels of God’s love—and His life-giving power—to your children.
- Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Luke 19:1-10
- God loves us so much that He wants to give us two very special presents: His amazing love and a perfect life in heaven. These gifts will change our lives forever. All we have to do is accept His gifts and stay connected with Him, continuing to follow Him closely in every way available to us.
- At least three white flowers with long stems, such as carnations
- Red food coloring
- Three tall glasses or sturdy narrow vases
What you do:
- Ask your children to help you with an experiment. Let them trim the bottom 2” (5cm) off the end of the long flower stems. Cutting the ends diagonally may allow more water to flow up the stem.
- Fill two vases with water and leave one empty.
- Add at least 20 drops of red food coloring to one of the vases.
- Place one or two flowers in each of the three vases.
- Wait a day or so to see what happens. The white flower in the red water should turn red; the white flower in water will stay white; and the flower without water will wilt.
- Look at the flowers with your children and ask them what they’ve noticed.
- Read the story of Zacchaeus in Luke 19:1-10 or from a Bible story picture book.
- God wants to give us two gifts so we’ll have the best life possible—forever! The water illustrates His gift of life. Without it the flowers in the empty vase died. The red coloring illustrates His love. Without it the flowers stayed white. The red flower enjoyed both the gifts of life and love, and it was totally transformed, just like Zacchaeus.
- Use the parts of the red flower to inspire your short prayers.
- Pass the transformed red flower around the family circle and invite prayers on one of the following themes:
- The red flower—Thank God for the power of His love in your lives and ask Him to help you find ways to share the wonder, power, and beauty of His love with others.
- The stem—Thank God for the people who support you in different ways and ask God to help you support others too.
- The leaves—Pray for healing for those who are sick. (Leaves are described as having healing qualities in Revelation 22:2.) Pray that you will remain healthy too.
- The fragrance—Thank God for the way His love makes your world “smell” better and pray that you will be a lovely, fragrant influence on those around you (2 Corinthians 2:15).